Google acquired Jaiku

According to Official Google Blog: Reach out and message someone, Google acquired Jaiku.

begin rant mode

I wonder how many social networking services are out there? And how many of them will Google need? (talking about Orkut)

The proliferation of these kind of services is a bit annoying. I think these services are useful to stay in touch with people. I don't really care about making new friends on-line at the moment but I like to use these services to stay in touch and know what my friends have been up to. But with all these services, I keep receiving invitations from friends in different services. It's annoying to maintain accounts in Orkut, Hi5, Jaiku and others I don't even remember the name... but I know I have created more accounts somewhere in time.

"But Jaiku can be used on your mobile" you tell me. I guess each of this services has something the others don't have. I'm sure I wont be convincing all my friends to change service every time some new feature comes up. It's like the IM networks war all over again. Until I started using IM clients that connect to multiple networks. ARGH!

end rant mode

... there. It's out.

Comments

  1. Oh no, not another one...

    Let's not even begin to rant about privacy. Well, maybe just a little bit...

    I have found at least one online application that gathers and cross checks information found on the internet about companies and individuals. Given a list of the common "security" questions statically pushed to us by online services, most (if not all) answers can be found by careful googling.

    Social networking applications like facebook may seem safer because some personal information can only be seen by our "friends"... But what about social engineering? It is easy to create a fake account, to pretend to be someone's friend, to propose as a friend and, finally , to grab their personal information.

    In the end, I agree with you. All these applications are a little different from each other, but they're all social networking tools.

    If I would accept all invitations I have been receiving, I would have accounts in: Facebook, flickr, hi5, Last.FM, LinkedIN, Myspace, orkut, stumbleupon, and others that I may not remember right now.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Win32_Product

Samsung CLP-300

PowerShell: very simple FTP client