HP laptop problems (PART 1)

One of the laptops I have at home is an HP dv6000 laptop. The laptop looks great. I like it's design, characteristics and price. I was very happy with it (and specially my girlfriend as my main laptop is my MacBook) until the problems started.

First problem: beeping


Even though it was definitely shut down it would just start spinning the fans at maximum speed and beeping loud. The only way to stop it was by removing the battery. This was very annoying and specially when it happened at night. A friend that had a friend that had a friend that worked at HP support told me that it was a known problem and could be solved by updating the firmware. I updated the firmware and it went way.



Second problem: cannot read CDs

A few days later, another problem. While reading a DVD (or was it a CD?) the computer hanged. I forced a restart just to find out I could not read any CD. DVDs worked just fine. I phoned HP and after reverting the laptop to it's default configuration with no results (as I expected) they took the laptop for repair and returned it a few days later. Support was really nice as they went to my office to pick it up and then returned it again there.



Third problem: no wireless card

I was happy with HP for having fixed the laptop so quickly and efficiently but that didn't last long. Suddenly the wireless card just stopped working. It started working intermittently but it eventually gave up working. It not only stopped working, the operating system couldn't even detect any wireless card present (it is an integrated wireless card). HP support was once again quick and efficient with the repair the returned it fixed.




Forth problem: does not turn on


This is the most recent problem and it happened twice. I'm not sure yet how it happens and how to fix it but I have a clue. My guess is when I leave it sleeping and unconnected to power for a long time, the battery is consumed. When it is completely discharged, the laptop does not turn on even if you connect it to power. I managed to revive it both times but removing the battery and turning it on only with the power adapter connected. I then reattached the battery and let it charge. Because this only happened twice, I'm not sure this is a solution or just a coincidence.
UPDATE: This workaround stopped working. The laptop was sent to HP for repair yet again. More on this here.

Comments

  1. That's a real let down man. It's like everything... sometimes certain stuff lasts forever while very similar units break all the time.

    Remember my Acer? Apart from the burned USB controller, it is still hanging together nicely. The battery still lasts for about 2h (it is over 3 years now)...

    Make sure you're not as dumb as I was and get it fixed before the warranty expires!

    Cheers, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few visits from people searching for the not turning on problem. I hope I have helped someone. But I also have bad news. This workaround stopped working and the laptop is dead. I'll call HP tomorrow I wonder if they will be able to fix this without erasing my data. Since the laptop doesn't boot at all, I haven't had the chance to back up all the files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a DV 6000 laptop. My wireless card for months did not work (which forced me to buy a wireless USB), even after I updated the BIOS and installed drivers and bla bla bla...I suddenly noticed on my taskbar that the broadcom drver was being installed (weird). The light magically changed from orange to blue and is now working again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all.

    The HP dv6000 not booting issue seems to be quite common with this laptop.

    D&D Tech Repairs have been able to sucssesfully repair this problem.

    If you would like us to repair your laptop, simply hop over to www.ddtechrepairs.co.uk and fill out the online form print it and send it with your laptop to us. the details can be found on our site. You dont need to send the hard drive or charger. And for £80 we'll have your laptop returned and running. ( Please get in touch if you live outside the UK ).

    We can repair all types of laptops and electronic items at reasonable prices.

    Regard
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. try going to the website and downloading new drivers for your laptop ...it definitely sounds like driver issues ..i found mine beeps once and awhile but not excessively and it hasn't given me any other problems

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Win32_Product

PowerShell: very simple FTP client

Samsung CLP-300